Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Portuguese Open - Task4 - 12th July

Light North winds above 1650m and Westerlies in the valley, a task of 120 km was initially set. After sending up a wind dummy to 2000m it was clear that the skies has other plans. The task was changed to a 95km. Again a task with only a start cylinder out, the same cylinder in, and a further turn point before dog-legging East into goal. What actually happened was a strong northerly at a lower altitude than forecast prevented half the field from taking off. The window opened and closed several times after a handful of us had taken off first in light winds, and from our wonderful 2200m we wondered why everyone was taking such a long time.
No worries for us 5, we were whirling around the start gate and I must have had my quickest start ever today (only 3 minutes behind schedule, although I am sure some of you may not think that to be fast at all!).
Only about 20 other pilots got away and scattered in various directions. The portuguese are NOT good on gaggle flying!
The poor meet director who had done such a good job all week, could do nothing to change the conditions. As the lead gaggle raced on, the Enzo's got the better of us on our M4, Icepeak6 and Delta, and one by one we separated.
Realising I had a bit of a drag going on somewhere, looked up to see a 3inch knot on my right hand outer C.  Must have been there all the time but with the strong thermals, went unnoticed until I came to a glide. The wing seemed to be managing OK apart from a slightly floppy tip and I made sure to thermal to the left wherever possible.
Eventually I got a great climb (or so I thought!) over a refuse tip indicated by hundreds of storks circling. I could only hold my breath until it topped at 1800m, puce in the face I barred it. Seeking the few gliders ahead, it would be a welcome relief to fly in a gaggle to get us out of the valley and into the flats. However, driven west by the valley wind, and all the thermals being blown flat over a low ridge, we all got pinned. The others gave up after a short while, and it was all I could do to not smile. so I did the dirty.  To gain some extra distance, I persisted crabbing my way along the ridge a further kilometre, until the landing options petered out to either a 2m high vineyard (no!), a pine forest (no!)  or a ploughed field with a power line I had only just noticed (hmm, ok then!). I chose the latter and stuffed the glider in hard landing on my arse in style. Thank you to the Kortel Karmasutra harness for saving my bottom!! and thank you Ozone for making such a responsive wing. The reward was a 10th place today. :-)
Oh, and I forgot to mention the rowdy retrieve, as we scooped up various members of the Portuguese Team in villages along the way. They may not be able to fly in gaggles, but in a village bar they are inseparable!
Right, enough of this para-talk.
Busses go up at 09h30 tomorrow morning for our final day, so I'm off to bed.....



No comments:

Post a Comment