Wednesday, July 25, 2012

25 July - Nordic Open - TASK3

Believe it or not, it was so stable today, window open had to be postponed 3 times! Incredible for Ager. When it finally kicked off, the conditions were stable until above 2200m. Stay high!
Got a fast start and managed to stay with the front gaggle reasonably well. There was an incident and a reserve deployment on a plateau. I flew over making sure that a pilot was landing to assist and remained dazed for a while.
Ager ridge

Pilots on preparing on take off

Heading to TP4

TP3

Finally concentration returned and I flew on making all the TP's and onto the ESS. Having misjudged the strength of the wind in that valley, I drifted with weak thermals, trying to find a core (practice from Portugal!), and managed to hold in there for a while. Opting not to fly over the forest low, I filled a ridge in the lee for a few k's before heading out into the flats for the joker card. No luck. I and ' other gliders landed in a soft straw field. 20metres from the main road and the retrieve bus happened to be driving past 15 mins later! Lucky.

About 37 pilots got to goal I think. That will hurt on my overall results but hope that I manage to hold on to 2nd place in the women's. Anne-Sophie did not have any luck in the same place either.
This evening we have a BBQ organised by the event. Grilled meat and beer.
The weather is looking dodgy for the end of the week so I need some good shut-eye to focus on the next few days.
Photos of the day will follow later this evening or I'll upload them tomorrow. I've left my camera in my glider bag.
You can check out updates and results here : http://nordic-open.eu/2012/


No comments:

Post a Comment