Thursday, July 12, 2012

Portuguese Open - Task 5 - 12th July

Great task set over the mountains with final turn point out in the flats. The reason being that the West wind was too strong in the valley and would have shot all the thermals to pieces, so we stayed in the sheltered mountains and did a lovely cat's cradle task. Just my stuff. Strong thermals again (seems to be the usual here), and a really visual task for all the pilots. Some surprises - one of portugal's top pilots on his enzo went down in the valley among others, but the rest of stayed really high and enjoyed the scenery and mellowing of the thermal capping at about 2200m. Got some grab pictures. Admittedly I got a cylinder distance a bit wrong and flew 2km too far costing me about 10 mins, but was chuffed to get to Goal 14th overall today, which gets me to the women's podium 2nd place :-)
The National TV crew were up there today together with a local journalist - seems I am popular, probably coz I'm a girl and foreign in their comp, but more media coverage today so put in a good word for Ozone and had picture taken etc. The goal was in a straw field an it was baking hot. By the time we packed up I had drunk over 1 litre of water and soaked through my t-shirt - euuchh!! Ride back to HQ was swift, and my week at Serra da Estrella and Club Vertical has been a pleasant surprise.  This really is a wonderful venue offering both flatland flying and mountains. It is the distance record site for Portugal and when I was told that some pilots did not come to the venue because the weather forecast was not good, it leaves me wondering what this place is like when it IS good.
Faultless organisation and retrieves. Genuinely friendly, open local people who are longing to see more foreign pilots come and discover the magic of flying here. It has definitely hit my Top 5 list of places to fly.
Right, as its the last evening, I'm off to the closure party or spit roast hog, local wine (boy, it's good!), and a big party which I am sure will be everything that one would expect, and more, from a great bunch of organisers and pilots.
Toodle pip........
Next stop, PWC Montelegre, Portugal. Yikes..!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment