Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Portuguese Open - 10 July - Task3







We returned to our usual East-West take off today as the task committee thought that it was better to have two options in case the wind switched. It didn't and I battled with take off yet again in strong thermals, whipping the glider which insisted in either lifting me off the deck or somersaulting and twisting when bringing it up. My glider control was not the strong point today. The conditions were less lumpy today although still a strong wind. Thermals booting to cloud base in no time but then strong headwind to get out of the bowl and into the flats. Great climb out there to cloud base and then a big big blue sink hole of several kilometres and myself and two other unlucky gliders went down. However, can't wait for tomorrow. It is actually cold beneath this beating sun, if you can believe that. Tomorrow should be nice and unstable and I anticipate getting to goal. Apparently we are tasking on Thursday too although I thought the comp ended on Wednesday, so much to do. Lets see if I can improve on keeping that glider under control on take off tomorrow !!! The attached photos are of: the task, cloud base at the start, my glider in the field where I landed, visual task on the map, our take off pad today, task meet director at briefing before start of the race, the river at HQ where we can cool off in the evening sun after tasking. Over and out...

No comments:

Post a Comment