Sunday, July 29, 2012

29 July - Nordic Open - TASK7 final day

Again today the forecast was for over development and thunderstorms at the end of the afternoon - these did not come, but instead we were blessed with conditions which went from better to fantastic.
7 turn points in all, 4 in the valley and three over the back in the Tremp valley.
Graced with cumulus again this afternoon we had a 75km race to goal. We had a difficult turn point just before heading for goal which involved an into wind leg up the valley from Tremp, before heading over East into the flats for the final leg and ESS.
My C-Pilot threw a wobbly 30 mins before the window open I thought I was doomed. Keeping a cool head, I remembered how it was when I only had a GPS XC Trainer. Through sheer desperation and feeling I had nothing to lose, I pressed the "reset" button, and Bingo!, the thing fires up. The only thing missing was the task I had just programmed and that was easy to do.
About 35 pilots made it to goal (me included). It has been a great comp for me this week with 4 goals out of 5, so I am very chuffed.
The results aren't yet out so the prize giving at 21h this evening will be a surprise for everyone, and I haven't got any photos today because I was concentrating on my flying and didn't take any!
Tomorrow I travel the 10hrs by car back home - I've been away for exactly 1 month and I can't wait to be home.
It has been a fantastic journey and my flying has improved no end.
this Nordic competition has been fantastic in every way possible: fabulous weather, a great organisation, and the task setting and meet director, Miguel, who has been second to none, organising a range of aerial journeys ranging from 50km to 110km!
Ager, thanks you - I hope to be back soon.
Over and out for now.......

No comments:

Post a Comment