Tuesday, July 24, 2012

24 July - Nordic Open - TASK2

We left for take off at 10am this morning. A 111km race to goal which was at Organya.
The start was windy and I was thinking of landing. The air was choppy, bitty thermals in the valley and strong not he ridge.
Start was better today but I chose to follow the valley today instead of heading back to the ridge to climb, which was a mistake and cost me time.
Going over the back into the valley the conditions were better, strong but more consistent. I did get stuck after TP2 which involved a big valley crossing and lost about 30 mins. Trying to find the strong climb on the hill before heading out, I hunted but unsuccessfully. Pushing forward into the flats, a strong headwind which pushed me back to the hill. Again I tried and finally said "sod it, I'll go and tough if I land". Eventually a climb which pinged me to over 2000m and enabled me to get the TP3 before returning to the very same hill to again climb out before heading for a climb above the "crater"(see photo), and then a lovely piece of "mountain flying" ( :-) ) to reach the ESS and goal.
Flying over the crater

Heading for ESS 
Last leg before Goal

The goal" reward: Mountain flying

Cloudbase over the "crater"

SceneryTrip home 
Village on return from

Mads uploading tracklogs on the return bus home

Goal bus! Yeaaaaah.... 

The results are out and only  or so pilots made it to goal today, so I'm pleased that I made it.  A fantastic last leg over the mountains and a for my troubles a 37th place today.
A punctual retrieve and downloading by Mads all the way home on his laptop to save time.  Good man!Currently nursing my left bicep from strong thermals today. It's strapped and ready to go again tomorrow - we are thermalling "left" tomorrow. Uhoh!.

No comments:

Post a Comment