Tuesday, July 17, 2012

17 July - Montalegre PWC - TASK 3

What a great day and this was undoubtedly an insight into how good the conditions can be here.
Winds at altitude were lighter than previous days and thermal strength was good. For the task today a ceiling height was set at 2950mGPS and a land by time imposed by the local aviation authorities for 19h30. A 130km race to goal was set with legs into wind and turn points zig-zagging across the valley. We used the East take off again and wind on launch was lighter with better thermic activity, enabling me to get off early, which is what I prefer.
I flew more conservatively, following advice not to race too hard but to try and stay with the second gaggle.
Having had a slower start (2mins after start gate opened), I let the leaders go and kept a close eye, using them for markers. Sticking with the second gaggle making TP1 nice and high, the field, more experienced, chose a low return valley route. Playing safe, I stuck closer to the hill and a aimed at a small factory which Iwould generate the lift I needed to top up before moving on. It was slower but worked for me.
It was here that the lead and second gaggle split. One group, the larger, chose the hill above the windmills, the other over the plateau to reach TP2.
About 4km behind the second gaggle at this stage, and high, I had time to gauge the choices.
Having nothing to lose but experience to gain and being brave, I headed for the flats!
My reward some 12km's further with a couple of gliders ahead of me for help, I connected with the most beautiful climb I had ever had in my paragliding career.  Over a pine forest a hot 2.5m/s turned into a smooth 5.7m/s up, wide and flat. As I got higher, air became velvety and smooth, and I pulled my balaclava from my face to feel the coolness of the surrounding air as I heard the foghorn on my GPS warn me I was 2700m. Approaching the limit, at 2940m I pulled out and with"big ears" and speed bar struggled for a few seconds to find sink.
I learned later that some pilots were either foolish or not so lucky. There would be some DSQ's and 10 point penalties for every second infringed up to 50m.
Although I did not complete the task, later facing difficulties with the into wind legs, I had a wonderful flight. The views were stunning and if I had had my camera to hand, would have taken pictures of the beautifully coloured wings "suspended" in the air like floating lollipops.

We are so lucky to do this sport. A special thanks to Tom Payne for his generous advice today. I enjoyed every moment :-)



Take-Off today

Guy Anderson pre-check

Blue-day skies

No comments:

Post a Comment