Tuesday, February 26, 2013

25 Feb - PWC Porterville Task 2

Question: How many pilots can you cram under the sponsor's tent?
Answer: 123!
Scochio. 38° in the shade and rising.

Today turned out better than the forecast had predicted, which was low inversion and thermals of only +1. A southelry shich was to reinforce as the afternoon progressed.
As it happens, we had between anything averaging between 1.7 and 4.6 which was very pleasing, and as the task was "going with the wind", we managed to get a task in.
Usual take off conditions of getting off the hill early before it blows out was "de rigueur". Chosing the lower launch which although netted instead of matted, therefore more uneven, the wind does come up cleaner, and has become a favourite of mine, but not of others. So as us Ladies slotted ourselves in amongst the big and burlies, I got off the hill early.
Settling into the flight early, I headed off towards TP1 with a gaggle whom I thought had chosen the better and easier line. As it turned out we were to all meet up again at TP2 anyway.
I can't remember the numbers (I never pay much attention to the distance of the task after plugging it into my GPS, I just obediently follow the arrows...), but I think the task was in the region of 56km or similar.
Some cross-wind sections and a final downwind leg which proved to be into wind for the final glide into goal,which put a large number of the field on the ground before finishing the task, much to everyone's frustration.
To add to this, the Committee decided to change the nominal distance for the Porterville site from 80km to some 60km odd, to allow for flatland flying in conditions typical for this time of the year, which put the wind up a few pilots to say the least. Regardless of how it may have annoyed several, it was in fact the right decision. Setting anything near an achievable 80km task to gain maximum points in these blustery conditions at present is a little less than impossible.
As I am writing this on the 26th after several glasses of chilled South African Chardonnay, my memory has blurred somewhat, but to finalise, Colin Hawke won the day. Jolly good show;
And when asked by a fellow pilot: "Where are you from? Germany, Poland...?". "No", said Colin, "I'm from Great Britain",  there were a few guffaws but great respect from the day's Big man from a little Island.
As for me, well, I finished 3rd in the women's task, behind Keiko and Nicole. Landing in a windy straw field just shy of the end of speed section (ESS, for those not familiar with para-jargon).

The long ride home was indeed long. Picking up the odd stray pilots on the way and stopping off at the Spa supermarket in Pittk-Pickketsburghbergerg....or something or other, for some beers and light refreshments, we made our way home. Man 'o Man, is it hot out here.
I keep meaning to put a link to the results page here, but I keep forgetting....must be the heat!





No comments:

Post a Comment