Friday, June 20, 2014

Belgian Open - Day 3 - Flyable everywhere but the Soça valley

Tuesday 17th June

Brieeeeeeeeefing! Guess what, Guys? No task.  Obviously someone finds my lack of faith disturbing. Or was that Darth Vader who said that to TomTom...

Free-flying in Italy today, despite the Bora wind Meduno would be more sheltered, so I decide to join the posse.

Aaah, Meduno.  My last trip there had been in May 2013 for the Italian Open, which after day 1 had been cancelled due to the torrential rain and flooding that continued throughout the week. Having been nick-named "MUDuno" because of this, I was glad to see that the Italian Flying Federation have since poured money into building a new landing field HQ with all mod-con facilities, and tarmacked the road to take off.  However, the latter meant that we had to walk the last 1.5km. Easier said than done with 15km of lead! Fortunately a kind Belgian fellow pilot offered to carry my rucksack to the top and looking at him in a sagging heap, insisted he needed mouth-to-mouth resuscitation! Eughhhh, NO! Tahhh! Instead as a fair trade, I said I would stop telling jokes about the Belgians (English equivalent is the Brits telling jokes about the Irish) as a fair trade….honest...



Gentle valley breeze coming up the face offered an easy launch. 50m above take-off we started to feel the Northerly, and by the time we had reached 1340m, the lift was broken and snotty. Climbing a further 200m before leaving the ridge to find calmer air in the flats, pushing south towards the bridge lift was in abundance.  Sucked up to 1700m in a steady climb albeit rough and choppy through sheer levels of valley and thermic conditions, I looked up to see some 30m above, wisps of cirrus above my head going in the opposite direction at a rate of knots!  Aaah.. time to come down.



Spiralling and chucking the drag chute, managed to lose 600m successfully, before finding a blue hole near the ruined fortress and dropping 6m/s in empty air almost to the ground.  Regardless of the lack of visual grace, I was glad to be on the ground.

Never flown the valley so fast, but with an Icepeak 7-Pro gobbling up the K's, one glide and you'd flown the triangle between take-off, South Bridge, and Terviso. Now I understand how the lead gaggles managed to fly so far, so fast and in one glide!


I can confirm that although flying in a Bora is possible, it is extremely unpleasant, and not an experience I will be repeating in a hurry. 
However, it was great to get airborne again after 5 days of doing everything else apart from what I can here to do.


No comments:

Post a Comment