Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Task 2. Portugal - British Nationals

Witness to a pilot incident today just before launching, I decided to offer my assistance and support, rather than fly.

An incident some moments after take off, watching with disbelief an Enzo glider perilously helicoptering and then flat spinning, all the way to the rocky ground some 40m below.

The harness, helmet and glider was that of Kirsty Cameron.

Struggling to get out of my harness, and leaving my glider on launch, I scrambled down the slope to where she was lying - the rescue people were already on site and noisily, but efficiently, evaluating the situation. Stabilising her was crucial whilst only being able to move parts of her body that could be move without pain.

Holding her hand, talking to her, reassuring her of every move the rescue people were doing, wiping her dirt-covered face, helping to free her squashed limbs from her harness, holding her head as the emergency services put on her neck brace and slid the stretcher under her body and then helping to carry her down the rugged terrain and scree slope to the mountain rescue ambulance where Mane, the Safety Director, was waiting. The A & E ambulance from Guarda hospital was already waiting on the tarmac road to transport her.
Collecting her flying equipment and glider from the rescue vehicle, I was given a ride to our house where I swapped it for some personal belongings and essentials to take with me to the hospital.  I did not know how long she would be in there.

Waiting in A & E for what seemed an eternity, where hours later,
where thorough examinations revealed she was an extremely lucky girl, with nothing broken and no damage aside from severe bruising.
The afternoon waiting at the hospital for the news, either good or bad, gave rise to questions about my own flying ability and the risk I encountered every time my feet left the ground.
The hospital finally gave me the OK for her release at 19h30 - it had been a long, worrying day.
We both drove home, emotionally battered

No comments:

Post a Comment