Tuesday, July 23, 2013

13th World Championships. Monday 13th July. Task 5.

Hi everyone,

Well this evening, I've just got home from a BBQ supper with the South Africans. I am now "zapped'" after having 2 mojito's courtesy of Guy Anderson (one of the ugly sisters!), and having fought for 4.40hrs endeavour to reach goal after a solo flight round a 130km task.


The first gliders start the gaggle into the blue
Task setting Committee and Yassen who wanted a "mountain" task today

Sadly I landed 9km short after running out of thermals, BUT I did not come in last, claiming a 125th place!  :-)  and landing 9km short of goal! Although the enthusiasm of my overall positions today might seem strange to some, compared with previous' days' performance, I am happy to have got a decent flight in and NOT come last today!!!!!

The task was half set in the mountains with strong conditions and booting thermals. It was tricky on full bar between the transitions because of the choppy conditions, but after having got so far behind after TP2, I had only one way to go: forwards, upwards and onwards, and alone which was difficult, but OK.


Eeked out every last bit of climb until 250m from the ground I had to turn again into wind to prep for landing. Such a shame.
So near and yet so far.....
My lovely packers in Dobene village

Poor team, having waited so patiently for a hour for me to get into goal. What a disappointment for them. Still, as a nation, we came in third today which stands the team in good stead for the next 3 tasks in hand.

Tomorrow maybe my luck and skill will take a turn for the better. I hope so. In the meantime, I am content with a cracking long flight in the air, and just loved the conditions. Mountains and strong climbs. More of the same tomorrow please...

Now to learn to fly faster and stay with the gaggle.....although perhaps a World Chamipionships is not the most realistic playgorund to be in, it is good training.

Night night.

No comments:

Post a Comment