Thursday, February 6, 2014

PWC Mexico, Valle - 6th Feb 2014 "NO FLY"

The alarm goes at 06h30 but I'm already awake.
My limbs feel heavy or is it the two quilted duvet covers I have on the bed to keep warm?!

I get up and almost fall over - my legs are so stiff from pushing the bar yesterday. In fact, my whole body feels exhausted!

Leaving for headquarters I collect my flight deck which feels double its usual weight and the idea of lifting my pack is a thought of horror!

My decision is I am not physically fit to fly and need a rest today.  After two previous competitions and flying almost every day for the past 4 weeks, I am tired.

A fantastic 1hr30 massage has spared me of my task today of riding the Big Bus to launch, prepping my glider and instruments pre-take off, collecting my packed lunch, weighing my ballast and kit, attending the task briefing, inputting GPS tasks, kitting up, preparing to launch carrying 33kg of equipment, lobbing off the mountain with 140 other pilots into the air, to race around the skies at hairy speeds and high altitudes, dangling on strings under a piece of cloth ….. Of real-time turbulence, ear-popping altitudes and banging on air swirling thermals, I have granted myself the privilege of looking up at the sky today instead of being in it, of becoming acquainted with surroundings which we would never have had the time to visit, and the read of a good book in the shade of the main square.

Main Square Valle de Bravo
This evening, I feel rested and ready for tomorrow…


1 comment:

  1. I can relate. During the last week of the worlds in 2009 at Valle I was exhausted having spent over 4 weeks there and having flown 2/3 hrs per day. Valle is a very tiring place to fly, not least because it's flyable every day! Kirsty

    ReplyDelete